Global Citizenship Project THE SCHOOL OF HOPE – INDONESIA 2021 UK – ID Partnership: The Paper Birds & Padepokan Seni Bagong Kussudiardja (PSBK)
About The Project
The School of Hope is a digital arts project and global citizenship project for young people aged 13-25. Running globally between June- October 2021, the project is based on the theme of empathy and aims to address the isolation young people have experienced in the last year, increasing young participants wellbeing and levels of empathy.
The Paper Birds will work with academics to plan lessons and measure impact. At the heart of each lesson will be a bespoke artwork, of varying art forms, commissioned and created by four diverse, exceptional artists from UK. The young people taking part will experience these artworks, as well as undertaking tasks, discussions, and activities before creating their own artworks in response to each lesson.
In collaboration with The Paper Birds, Padepokan Seni Bagong Kussudiardja (PSBK) will host ‘The School of Hope – Indonesia 2021’, bringing Indonesian artists and young people (aged 17-24) to participate in this unique engaging arts project . The project will be held at PSBK site (face to face) in May-June 2021.
About The Paper Birds
The Paper Birds is a theatre company recognized as UK leaders in verbatim theatre, with a social and political agenda. They’re artists, investigators, entrepreneurs, educators, who pride themselves on taking complex, multi-faceted subjects and making them accessible. They have an artistic and a creative learning programme and nurture both equally.
About Padepokan Seni Bagong Kussudiardja (PSBK)
PSBK is an arts centre in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, that aims to contribute to the cultural enrichment of Indonesian society by shaping arts practice as an important learning resource. PSBK extends Bagong Kussudiardja’s commitment for artistic innovation, creative learning, and access to the arts.
The School of Hope Lessons will be implemented by Indonesian Artists/Teaching Artists who will serve as Main Facilitators for the young participants. In reference to the nature of the Lessons, creative processes involved, and the backgrounds of the young participants; PSBK would like to work with Artists who are:
- genuinely interested in collaborating with communities creatively,
- genuinely interested in the project goals and committed to the time frame,
- have strong communication and mediation skills,
- capable in communicating in the English language,
- capable of conveying insight to processes and circumstances to all partnering constituents
Facilitating Artists will participate actively in:
- Co-Planning sessions with The Paper Birds,
- Implement the School of Hope Lessons with young people (participants)
- Share insight of processes and related circumstances
Project Benefits for Facilitating Artists:
- access to a unique creative and engaging community module proposed and developed by The Paper Birds
- access to a platform that engages them to collaborate with young people
- access to an opportunity to enhance experience, skills, and tools to engage with communities in the future
- access to an opportunity to connect, collaborate, and learn from UK artist The Paper Birds
- access to develop new relationships and expand networks with other UK artists (School of Hope commissioned artists)
As Indonesian host for the project, PSBK will provide:
- Development time and space to prepare
- Meals during processes that take place at PSBK
- Technical support to engage with UK Artists
- Facilities to support The School of Hope workshop
- Diverse young participants to collaborate with
Facilitating Artist Timeline
|Open Call||3 – 8 May 2021|
|Online interview with shortlisted applicants||10 May 2021|
|Inform Applicants of Results||11 May 2021|
|MoU||18 May 2021|
|Briefing session with PSBK||21 May 2021|
|Networking session with UK artists|
& Co-Planning sessions with The Paper Birds (creative development to provide the bridging tools for the Lesson delivery )
|Between 25 May – 11 June 2021 (tbc)|
*specific dates and agendas will be confirmed
|The School of Hope –Indonesia 2021 workshop with young people participants||14 – 19 June 2021|
|Evaluation Session||between 21 – 24 June 2021 (tbc)|
*undangan interview: 9 Mei
*pemberitahuan lolos ke MoU: 11 Mei
Are you interested in applying?
- Download the application form from here: School of Hope_Artist Application Form
- Please send your completed application form in English to [email protected]
- Deadline is Friday, 8 May 2021, 23:59 WIB
For more information, please contact:
Istifadah Nur Rahma, Arts Program PSBK: [email protected]
The School of Hope – Indonesia 2021 is made possible with the support of Connections Through Culture 2020-2021 programme, British Council.